Frequently Asked Questions

The following is a selection of questions & answers of relevance to applicants (compiled from info in EACEA web)

1. To which academic year does the Erasmus Mundus "External Cooperation Window" mobility refer to ?
All individual mobility flow from Asia to EU must start during the academic year 2008/2009. Mobility from EU to Asia can be in Academic year 2009-2010 as well. The duration of the individual mobility depends on the type of education. All the planned mobility from Asia to EU must start by April 1st 2009 at the latest.
2. How is academic staff defined?
Academic staff comprises teaching staff or researchers from the universities participating in the Partnership, but also university administrators (rectors, personnel in charge of cooperation offices, etc). All these categories are eligible candidates for outgoing mobility. They will have to perform training, teaching and/or research activities in host institutions members of the Partnership.
3. Are inter-European or inter-Third-countries mobility flows allowed?
No. Individual mobility flows of Europeans between European institutions or Third-Country nationals between Third-Country institutions involved in the partnership are not covered by this scheme.
4. Can students or academic staff benefit from more than 1 mobility flow?
No. European or third country student is allowed to participate in a second period of the same type of mobility (undergraduate, master, doctorate, post-doctorate). Academic staff cannot benefit from more than one mobility activity within the same project.
5. Can third-country nationals living in Europe apply for a mobility flow?
For target group 1 it should not be possible because students and academic staff must be registered in a third-country university.
For target group 2, the mobility is reserved to students registered in a university in their home country or to persons having obtained a first diploma in their home country. This makes it possible for the third country nationals living in Europe if they have obtained their first higher education diploma in a university from their home country.
6. Can students spend a whole semester at an Associate Institution?
Yes, so long as the conditions of the External Cooperation Window are respected, and as long as the education in question requires such secondment (e.g. to do an Erasmus Mundus Master Course.
7. Who selects students and academic staff for mobility flows and how? And how will students and academic staff know if they have been accepted in a mobility flow?
The selected Partnerships are responsible for the organization, selection and the implementation of the individual's mobility. The selected partnership sets out the procedure and the planning of the candidates' selection and therefore is responsible to communicate and publish the list of candidates who will eventually participate to the mobility scheme. The selection of candidates must be carried out in respect of the principles of transparency and equal treatment.
8. Are students and academic staff covered by an insurance scheme?
Yes, they are to be covered by a complementary sickness and accident insurance offered by the Partnership and funded with the community grant allocated to the project.
9. Do Partnerships offer welcome and housing facilities?
Partnerships are obliged to offer information and assistance in matters such as accommodation.
10. By which criteria do Partnerships select students and academic staff?
Each Partnership has to identify its own common set of criteria in compliance with the principle of transparency and equal treatment to select students and academic staff. Classic tools for selecting applicants comprise CVs, study and exam results, specific requirements for language skills, letters of recommendation, and letters of motivation. The Commission sets certain minimum norms for the student selection procedure, such as transparency, equity, etc. The Partnerships will have to provide the Agency with a description of the methodology applied during the selection of the candidates.